(WASHINGTON, DC) – Mayor Muriel Bowser today kicked off the search for the chancellor of DC Public Schools (DCPS) by announcing the chairs of the Our Schools Leadership Committee. The committee will be co-chaired by Dr. Charlene Drew Jarvis, member of the UDC Board of Trustees and former Ward 4 Councilmember and former President of Southeastern University, and Dr. Sylvia Mathews Burwell, President of American University.
“Today, we are announcing a dynamic group of principals, teachers, students, parents, community members, and civic leaders who will help guide our process to select a DCPS chancellor who can take our school system to the next level. This committee represents the best of DC, and collectively, they have decades of experience in philanthropy, education, and at every level of government,” said Mayor Bowser. “We go into this process with a clear understanding of the progress we’ve made, the challenges we still face, and with a strong sense of urgency to do better for our students and families.”
In addition to the committee, which will serve as a review panel and assist the Mayor during the search process, the chancellor search will be supported by the Mayor’s Office of Talent and Appointments.
Throughout the summer and fall, the District will lead a series of listening sessions across the city. These forums will be an opportunity to provide an overview of DCPS progress to date, emphasize areas of focus for the next chancellor, and hear from residents about their priorities for DCPS. Following the forums, the Executive Office of the Mayor will compile community priorities to share with residents and the Mayor, which will inform the chancellor selection and future strategic planning.
Residents can find more information about the selection process and provide feedback at ourschools.dc.gov.
Other committee members include:
- Anita Berger, Principal of Banneker High School
- Rosa Carrillo, DCPS parent and Language Services Program Director of Multicultural Community Services
- Tumeka Coleman, Walker-Jones EC, DCPS 2018 Teacher of the Year
- Elizabeth Davis, President of the Washington Teachers’ Union
- Antwayne Ford, Chair of the Work Force Investment Council
- Nicky Goren, Ward 3 Parent
- Sean Gough, Director of Government Relations at Friendship Public Charter Schools
- Danielle Hamberger, Director of Education Initiatives at A. James & Alice B. Clark Foundation
- Arnebya Herndon, Ward 7 Parent
- Jeanie Lee, President and Executive Director of DC Public Education Fund
- Zion Matthews, Student at Ron Brown College Preparatory High School, 10th Grade
- Victor Reinoso, CEO and Co-Founder of Decision Science, Ward 4 Parent