(Washington, DC) – On Thursday, August 29, at the Eaton Hotel, Mayor Muriel Bowser will kick off 202Creates, a month-long celebration of DC’s vibrant and diverse creative community. At the kickoff, the Mayor will announce that this year’s Mayor’s Arts Awards will take place in November and encourage residents to show their support for the arts and creative community by applying for the Commission on the Arts and Humanities. Residents interested in serving on the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities can apply at bit.ly/CAH_Commissioners.
“We have so much creative talent in Washington, DC, and we look forward to celebrating and recognizing that talent throughout 202Creates and at this year’s Mayor’s Arts Awards,” said Mayor Bowser. “Every year, 202Creates is one of the most exciting celebrations in our city – a unique opportunity to shine a spotlight on the artists, makers and entrepreneurs who keep DC creative.”
Launched in September 2016, 202Creates is a citywide effort to amplify, celebrate, and highlight the District’s multi-billion dollar creative economy. The celebration includes DC’s culinary, cosmetology, fashion industries, musicians, performing artists, filmmakers, tech entrepreneurs, visual artists, and production support companies. The month-long campaign showcases and engages the District’s entrepreneurial and creative community through an array of events taking place across all eight wards. More details about the Arts Awards will be posted on 202Creates.com in the coming weeks.
This year, 202Creates will celebrate two creative milestones for the District: the new fall class for the 202Creates Residency Program and the second anniversary of the DC Radio Network. The 202Creates Residency Program, which was launched by OCTFME in the fall of 2018, will welcome 36 new creative entrepreneurs from all eight wards for its fourth class. These creatives consist of photographers, media makers, filmmakers, visual artists, musicians, small business entrepreneurs, designers, and more.
The celebration of DC Radio 96.3HD4 will take place on Thursday, September 19 at the Union District Oyster Bar and Lounge. The event will feature hosts from DC Radio programs, national recording artists, special guests, and other DC creatives. The station is housed and managed by OCTFME in partnership with WHUR Radio, features programming on government resources, news, emergency updates, community affairs, education, current events, arts, music, and entertainment.
Additional events that will be featured during 202Creates include:
- Opening night celebration, featuring live performances from local musicians and art and dance activations. 6 pm -10 pm August 29, at the Eaton Hotel DC, at 1201 K Street, NW.
- Labor Day Weekend Music Festival, a two-night, free concert event featuring local artists in a variety of musical genres, hosted by radio personality Tony Richards. 7 pm.-10 pm August 31 and September 1, at the historic Lincoln Theatre, at 1215 U Street, NW.
- John F. Kennedy Center REACH Center Festival, celebrating newly expanded campus, indoors and outdoors with free events. September 7-22, at Kennedy Center, 2700 F Street, NW
- Art All Night, the District’s only free all-night arts festival, featuring local artists and highlighting the area’s best visual and performing arts exhibits, workshops, and performances. 7 pm to 3 am, September 14 across eight DC neighborhoods: Congress Heights, Deanwood Heights, Dupont Circle, H Street, Minnesota Ave, North Capital, Shaw and Tenleytown.
- 202Creates Sound of Family & Fun Festival, featuring talent performances, food vendors, and activities for children, hosted by DJ Dirty Rico and Britt Waters. 12 pm - 4 pm, September 28, at 2241 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, SE.
For a complete list of events, visit 202creates.com.
Thursday, August 29, at 6 pm
Mayor Muriel Bowser
Angie Gates, Director, Office of Cable Television, Film, Music and Entertainment
Eaton Hotel DC
1201 K Street, NW
*Closest Metro Station: Metro Center*
All reporters and other media interested in attending the event are asked to RSVP to [email protected].