(Washington, DC) Today, Mayor Muriel Bowser and the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) reminded residents that summer is around the corner, and the District is currently hiring over 700 seasonal positions.
“Summer is almost here, and DC is hiring,” said Mayor Bowser. “If you know someone looking for a summer job or if you know a young person who is looking for an engaging and paid activity over the summer, tell them that DPR is hiring.”
“DPR is the agency where fun happens and we are looking for qualified individuals who want to help make this summer fun for DC kids and people of all ages,” said DPR Director Delano Hunter. “We are staffing up in dozens of areas and have positions for nearly any qualified applicant.”
Job opportunities at DPR include:
- Work at a pool – DPR will train you for FREE to be a lifeguard or work as a pool operator or pool-based Customer Service Representative.
- Lifeguard training details: dpr.dc.gov/lifeguard
- Become an Urban Park Ranger – Assist in opening and closing of park sites, respond to public inquiries on park resources and DPR permits, and help execute DPR events.
- Work at a school – Work at a DPR Boost Camp, offering kids ages 3-13 enriching recreation opportunities on-site at District schools, with kids who attend that school.
- Engage youth in the District – Work with kids through DPR’s Roving Leaders program or the Marion Barry Summer Youth Employment Program.
- DPR Environmental Division – Lead and support nature-themed outdoor programming and events including wellness walks, geocaching, hiking, kayaking, fishing, bird watching, and camping.
- Work in operations – Help move and set up DPR equipment and play activations or work as a driver transporting kids, staff, and cargo around DC and beyond.
- Work in food service – Assist in DPR’s summer meals programs as a food safety inspector or monitor.
- Become a Summer Camp Counselor – Work at one of dozens of traditional and specialty camps that take place in every corner of the District.
All selected candidates for hire must be vaccinated and boosted (as applicable) and will be subject to criminal background checks, traffic record checks, or both, and pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
Details about job opportunities and job listing numbers can be found at dpr.dc.gov/summerjobs. Interested individuals may apply for a job at DPR through the Careers DC portal, careers.dc.gov.
Mayor Bowser Twitter: @MayorBowser
Mayor Bowser Instagram: @Mayor_Bowser
Mayor Bowser Facebook: facebook.com/MayorMurielBowser
Mayor Bowser YouTube: https://www.bit.ly/eomvideos