(Washington, DC) – On Tuesday, March 21, at 6:30 pm, Mayor Muriel Bowser will celebrate six women leaders and mark Women’s History Month at the Washington Women of Excellence Awards ceremony. As pillars of empowerment for all DC residents, the award recipients are being honored for their commitment to public service and significant contributions in the fields of television, public safety, women’s rights, education and international relations.
Award recipients include:
- Maureen Bunyan, Former Anchor, WJLA and WUSA
- Pege Gilganon, Photographer, WJLA
- Diane Groomes, Assistant Chief of the Patrol Services and School Safety Bureau, Metropolitan Police Department
- Janaye Ingram, Founder, Women’s March Movement
- Joni Elaine Ovca, Founder, Access Youth
- Catalina Velasquez, Activist and First Transgender Immigrant Latina Commissioner, Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs
Mayor Muriel Bowser
Kim Bassett, Director, Mayor’s Office on Women’s Policy and Initiatives
Tuesday, March 21, at 6:30 p.m.
Trinity Washington University (Social Hall)
125 Michigan Avenue, NE
*Closest Metro: Brookland-CUA Metro Station*
Press interested in attending the event are asked to RSVP to [email protected].